As a dancer, I burn a lot of calories throughout the day, but I do not always have a lot of time to cook up elaborate meals to meet my caloric needs. It is easy to turn to processed food/sugary junk food when I am hungry and in a rush. I have found that smoothies and smoothie bowls are a simple way to pack a lot of healthy, whole food calories and protein into a quick meal. I like to use soft tofu in my smoothies, because it makes the smoothie creamy, and adds a lot of extra protein. Adding the banana and frozen berries will do a pretty good job of masking the flavor of the tofu and spinach.
- ½ block of soft/silken tofu
- 1 cup of frozen fruit of your choice (blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries are good)
- Large handful of fresh spinach and/or kale
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 T peanut butter (Make sure you choose a brand of peanut butter that is just peanuts and maybe salt. A lot of peanut butters, like skippy and JIF, have hydrogenated oil and sugar added)
- Plant-based milk of choice or water as needed for blending/consistency
- Hemp seeds, cacao nibs, or nuts for garnish
Blend the tofu and spinach and frozen fruit together first, then add the peanut butter, banana, and milk and blend (I use a ninja). If you want a thicker consistency to eat out of a bowl, try to add as little liquid as possible. Just blend for a few seconds, pack it down some more, and repeat until everything is smooth. Play around with the amounts to get your desired consistency and taste.